Friday, July 2, 2021

Generals and Golfing ...


I felt compelled to once again commit my thoughts to “paper” on where we stand regarding the CAF Issues on SA / SH and the underlying systemic and cultural basis for those challenges.

As always, I think it important, at least at this stage to repeat, repeat and repeat that I recognize and accept that we have a systemic, cultural problem that results in Sexual Assault and Harassment in the CAF. The origins and causes of this are well beyond my expertise to articulate but what is equally clear is that successive generations have inadequately addressed this issue and been ineffective as a result. I am one of those who have failed.  My efforts today in support of various victims is not meant to distinguish myself as being clean of such failure but rather an attempt to help heal what I and others failed to do effectively when given the chance. 

But lately events not from the past but more recently have made the news. The most recent decision by our Acting CDS to have VAdm Baines stay on as Head of our Navy is getting, rightfully so, mixed reviews. I suspect the A/CDS knows there was no “good” decision but rather he tried to choose one, and stage such a decision, that might do the most good.

I am tempted to comment on the Prime Minister’s and his Deputy’s comments but will discipline myself to merely say that I find it inconceivable that the Minister would not have briefed them fully and therefore their public dissension is disingenuous at best. If they truly disagreed, they had the opportunity and authority to make a change necessary before the announcement. Political Opportunism, as ever with elected officials, seems the most likely culprit.

The most recent golf outing has cost one LGen a premature end to his career and forever tarnished a VAdm. I know, admire tremendously and like, both of these Officers.  I was not consulted (nor should I have been) in the decision that LGen Rouleau took to retire early but feel compelled to say a few things on the issue. Regardless of the motivation / compassion that compelled him to play a round a golf with Gen (retd) Vance this was not a good decision. His motivation may have been correct, the expression of such a sentiment was not. For those who think that his motivation is a made up story, well quite frankly I have no time for you: Please stop reading ‘cos I think you are idiots.  Calling LGen Rouleau a liar is to ignore everything he has done in his career. LGen Rouleau is an officer of exceptional ability, who has served his country for decades in the most demanding of appointments. He made a mistake, owned it and is moving on. My most sincere hope is that in balance people see this for what it was and wasn’t. Yes a mistake but uncharacteristic from someone who has served so well for so long. It isn’t illustrative of his over 30 years of service.

In discussing the issue a wise man told me “If I was overly critical of my friends' sins, I would have no friends; not to say I condone the actions of some I consider friends”  I have very few friends. I can hate the sin and love the sinner. I accept that such a stance with regard to Rouleau and Baines might bear a cost in public scrutiny and criticism. I’m pretty comfortable with that. As I have read most recently in an excellent thread by a woman serving in the CAF: “I wanted to take some time to think before speaking” I have thought and this is me speaking.

I was surprised that after LGen Rouleau decided to retire, based on this issue, that he was not recognized for taking responsibility. It was an action consistent with how he has served. Leaders accept responsibility and the accountability that goes with it. But everyone was seemingly too enraptured with the idea of the General’s Cabal playing golf at an Elite Golf Course.  (for the record I am a member there, love golf and Hylands but dear god it is not elite: Less than 5% of the membership are GOFOs and likely less than 50% CAF members…people golf there because it’s the cheapest Golf in Ottawa !!!). I thought this unfair. By all means criticize the decision to play golf with Gen (retd) Vance but if so surely the decision to make oneself publicly accountable is worth commentary as well ?

So, I was not surprised however by the push back on LGen Eyre’s decision to retain VAdm Baines. It seems that “burn it all down” is the only acceptable response to these issues regardless of severity.  I have spoken to countless victims of SA / SH, read everything I can find regarding the commentary on this and other associated issues and can find no where that suggests that a binary solution ie Perfection or Release,  is even remotely a good idea.

I have not yet met a perfect service member, regardless of rank, age, gender, service affiliation etc. In fact I would go further: The best leaders for whom I have worked were flawed, accepted they were flawed and strove continuously to do better. They didn’t hide when they made mistakes, they didn’t make excuses, they accepted their fault and tried to do better. I have known VADm Baines since I put him through his Basic Officer Course in 1987: He made a poor decision, accepted that he had done so and doubtless is now more determined than ever to make the changes necessary.

I’m not trying to make excuses for either of these two Officers. But I do think if we are truly determined to make a difference in our culture, we must accept that we will always be less than perfect. I have served with militaries around the world, many who put in a great deal of effort in appearing to be something they are not. It never holds, imperils operational effectiveness and is quite frankly immoral. I do think there is a continuum of seriousness of offence and individuals should be judged based on where their actions, or inactions, lie along that line. Not everything is excusable but equally not everyone is irredeemable.

 


8 comments:

  1. General,

    I have followed your comments with great interest. I thought your recent interview/podcast(?) on the issue was very well articulated. I become concerned, however, when I read comments that suggest that general officers (all of whom have distinguished careers as far as I know) are incapable of lying or misrepresenting facts to their benefit, just because of their credentials. Such remarks smack of hubris that somehow those who serve are in some way deserving of status elevation any question of which is inappropriate; it frankly ignores the human fact that there have been many great personages who have fallen from great heights. In fact, it is a common occurrence. And so, I take your advice, and have stopped reading your blog at that point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good call to stop reading, as I was obviously not clear enough for you. I do not think GOFOs are incapable of lying, to the contrary I know otherwise. I merely opine, that given that I know General Rouleau very very well, I think that anyone who accuses him of making up the story as to his rationale has no idea what they are talking about. I claim nothing more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem offended. My apologies. It is not my intention to offend; but the thread of your logic bears tugging just a bit further. I accept that you are long time friends with LGen Rouleau and that you know him well. And I mean to cast no aspersion upon him, particularly as I do not know him well. Further it is clear that you have great faith in him. We are all want to have loyal friends such as you.


    But I have heard similar assertions before, akin to "ah he's a solid guy; he couldn't possibly have... and even if he did, he couldn't have meant anything by it.. trust me, no one knows him better than me.." on many occasions. So, forgive me; but I remain skeptical of the infallibility assertion, rank notwithstanding.

    I prefer instead the musings of an equally wise man to the one you cite above, who stated that: "virtue cannot be declared, it must rather, be demonstrated"

    In this rare instance I encourage your readers to decide for themselves rather than take your word for it. No offence intended. It is just a matter of difference of opinion on the issue of human fallibility and our ability or inability to detect it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Given I don't know you I can't imagine why I should, or could,be offended. You are entitled to be skeptical and as well as offer free advice to my readers although I normally avoid such a presumption as I am often reminded that it is normally worth what one pays for it. The intent of my Blog is not to dispense advice merely offer my opinion. How others consume such thoughts is wholly within their own discretion. I offer them the courtesy and compliment of being able to decide for themselves its value or lack thereof.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not trolling you General. As I stated before, I very much enjoy your blogs and they are worthwhile reading. But I do note your edgy reply yet again suggesting that your comments are more valuable than your readers replies suggests offence. I am not intending offence.

    Perhaps I should not have included the last sentence in my previous reply above as it focused your attention on the wrong part of my argument. Instead, I will repost it here absent the last sentence and perhaps you will get what I am driving at this time instead of attempting to diminish my point of view. Rhetorical Criticism is not meant to be an attack on what you say, but rather to expose merit worthy discussion points. Dismissing them as not worth anything is frankly poor form on your part.

    My principal comment restated absent the last sentence follows:

    You seem offended. My apologies. It is not my intention to offend; but the thread of your logic bears tugging just a bit further. I accept that you are long time friends with LGen Rouleau and that you know him well. And I mean to cast no aspersion upon him, particularly as I do not know him well. Further it is clear that you have great faith in him. We are all want to have loyal friends such as you.


    But I have heard similar assertions before, akin to "ah he's a solid guy; he couldn't possibly have... and even if he did, he couldn't have meant anything by it.. trust me, no one knows him better than me.." on many occasions. So, forgive me; but I remain skeptical of the infallibility assertion, rank notwithstanding.

    I prefer instead the musings of an equally wise man to the one you cite above, who stated that: "virtue cannot be declared, it must rather, be demonstrated"

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Clairvoyance prior to the DPU

  One Day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. “Which road do I take?” she asked. “Where do you want to go...